Thursday, April 1, 2010

Back to blogging

I haven't been able to find time to blog ever since the second semester last year. now with Project Work out of the way, I have just slightly enough time to blog. Though it has only been 3 months into Year 2 of Junior College, so much has happened within this short period, I'm involved in two projects, which are taking up a fair bit of my time and I now have juniors in debate which I can pass all that I've learnt last year to.

School has been going pretty well thus far, although I am still worried about not doing exceptionally well, rather, not good enough to attain my desired grades at the A Levels. I seem to have some trouble getting a score of more than 30/50 for my General Paper essay this year, which is quite scary to be honest, since everyone else has been improving so much and 30/50 just doesn't put me anywhere near the top anymore. Used to be proud of my GP score, and now it so happens that GP is the subject that worries me quite a bit. My other subjects are also nothing more of mediocre, which is pretty upsetting, since I am really not used to being an average student. Guess competition is way tougher in JC, way more than I expected it to be. So many smart students in class are starting to work hard, and it is showing, I really should start working as well, just so that I can still be of any competition to these classmates.

I've started paying more attention to TIME magazine after finding the application for it on my iPod Touch and a recent article especially caught my eye. The article, How to Classify a Million Galaxies in Three Weeks caught my interest and I found out about this citizen-science website, Galaxy Zoo, which makes use of online volunteers to identify and classify galaxies through answering a series of questions on the pictures of each of these galaxies they are given. This is not a game, this is real science, and I found that I really enjoy classifying these galaxies, it is almost like fulfilling my childhood dream of being an astronomer. I've classified 50 so far, and my interest does not seem to be waning. I'll see how it goes and probably update my progress every once in a while.

Photobucket

This is the first spiral galaxy I've helped to classify! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment